Sunday, May 30, 2010

MMM: Personal Symbols


"Birds of a Feather"
Clip art images on Balsa wood 


This week's Mixed Media Monday prompt asks us to examine the personal symbols that reoccur in our artwork. I used this opportunity to review the things I've done over the last year, and noticed that I often use birds, wings and children's illustrations in my work. I also use imagery that tells the story of our coming together as a family, including our hope to add another child to the mix. In addition to presenting something that represents us (in this case, Kendra, our future child and me), I also used some of the supplies that I often turn to in order to create this new piece, "Birds of a Feather."

I recently created a Butterfly Reminder for The Artistic Mother's Group that is going through Shona Cole's new book of the same name. I still had some of the supplies on hand (and inspiration from Shona in mind) when I decided to create this piece from some clip art that I found from The Graphics Fairy. The original bird is black and white and was enhanced (along with it's reduced twin) with stamps, water-soluble oil pastels, glitter and Swarovski crystals. It was then backed on Balsa wood and strung (along with the cage that hangs on the bottom) with wire. Final touches included more Swarovski crystals (beads) and a piece of satin ribbon.

Thank you for looking! I look forward to seeing what everyone does this week. . .

Kristin xo

22 comments:

Diane said...

Wow Kristin - I've come to expect very meaningful pieces from you, and this is no exception. Love what you've done here! I need some balsa wood, grin! What did you use to cut it? Fantastic! Diane

Willy said...

Your 'birds of a feather' is absolutely stunning, Kristin.

carolyn said...

Just a wonderful piece, Kristin. Well done!

Teresa aka Tess said...

I really must get me some balsa wood. I never even thought of using it to back things. And here I am a scout leader...tisk, tisk. Your dangly is gorgeous. Love the colors...

Unknown said...

oh my heavens!!! what a wonderful creation...this is spectacular!!! I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Kristin, this is so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing!

K said...

lovely birds!

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh, this is so beautiful!! Absolutely beautiful!
HUGS,
Cindy

Mandy said...

oh wow...this is beautiful...found the clipart site too...thanks.xxxyour work is beautiful...xxx

Amy said...

this is super gorgeous..wow..I'd love it hanging in my home!!!! BEautiful images as always..your work is always amazing to see..very pretty to the eye's!

Hermine said...

Its gorgeous!!

Sandy said...

Really really delightful.
Awesome work.

johanna said...

oh kristin, this turned out so absolutely adorable! the colors are just fantastic!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, Kristin, your bird hangar looks really fantastic, love the blue colour.

Nicola said...

Hi Kristin!!! I love this piece, that blue colour is gorgeous!!! I'm working on my piece at the moment and hope to post it up in time.
I love your work because I feel like you always show so much of yourself, it has so much meaning and is always a delight to look at :0)
Oh in answer to your question about where we're going for our trip we're going to the UK and France to visit my family (I'm originally from Wales) but have been in Australia for about 17 years, this is the first time we're going over with our boys and so I'm very excited as my dad and brother still live there. We've not been back to Wales in ten years so some of my friends I've not seen in a very long time, luckily though my dad and brother have both been over a couple of times now to visit us. I'm very excited but a bit nervous about the boys going that far. Your trip sounds really exciting too, how long are you going for?

joanna said...

Kristin, this piece is absolutely beautiful!! and your story "coming together as a family" very touching...
If you believe, it will happen!!
xooxo

Carin said...

Kristin, this is truly gorgeous! just love it!

WrightStuff said...

What a pretty piece Kristin and I so enjoyed reading the inspiration behind it. I bet Kendra loves it!

ALTERED ARTIFACTS said...

Beautiful piece and sweet sweet story to go with it :)
Inka

Lori Saul said...

This is so beautiful and captivating - what a lovely person symbol that you express so well!

DMG said...

This is just lovely, Kristin, and I really enjoyed reading about what the symbolism means to you. Have a wonderful trip!

Bumbershoot Designs and Supplies said...

Kristin, It is stunning! Thanks so much for sharing this gorgeous piece and your thoughtful words. Wishing you a good vacation! ~Sharon